Much like most of you DIY-ers, I like being able to save money where I can. I also like a clean house. Contrary to what my mother may tell you.
Anyway, I was perusing Pinterest the other day and I came across this bad boy:
Now see, not only do I like saving money, and having a clean house…but I also like my Swiffer wet jet A LOT. And in other (slightly) related news, I enjoy knitting. The pattern looked pretty simple and I figured I could whip up a test cover while watching some odd movie (Absentia – i do not recommend it).
The cotton yarn I had in mind is pretty cheap at $1.77 per ball (which could technically yield 2 covers) and when you compare that to brand-name pad refills (12 for $6.69), which you cannot throw in the washing machine to clean, I think that’s a pretty good deal.
Getting the pattern started was a test of patience. I’m not sure if it was because I was impatient to get the cover finished, or if it just took a while to get the hang of the pattern…all i know is that there are some not-so-happy stitches in the first pattern repeat that are just lucky they got hidden in the seam. Once the first pattern repeat was done, I was able to look back and see how it all worked – that certainly made the second half of the project a lot quicker to come together.
I would say, all told, this pattern would take 1-2 hours to knit. It is really simple to follow, but you have to pay attention to your knitting because of all the yarn overs that go in different directions. It tends to slow you down a little bit. But, it was very easy to watch a movie and knit this at the same time.
When I was seaming the edges of the cover together I kind of guessed at how far in to pull the ends. While I would recommend not being as lazy as me, I knew that the cotton would have a little bit of give to it and should stretch over the swiffer head.
Ta-da! It fits! I won’t show you how it looks after I gave it a run around the kitchen. Let’s just say it works really, REALLY well. All the ridges and dips in the pattern grab up and hold a lot of dirt. In my mind (trust me, it’s fun in there) this kind of cover works better than the pads you can buy – there’s more scrubbing friction created between the swiffer and the floor, which helps to grab up (what little) dirt is available.
I also had a go at doing this and it really works.
You can thank me later